Admission Requirements for the Bachelor of Nursing Post Diploma Program (PDBN)
IMPORTANT NOTE: To be considered for admission to the University of Calgary in Qatar, you MUST have Qatari Citizenship, a Qatar Resident's Permit, or the ability to seek Permanent Residency through a family member. UCQ does NOT have the ability to issue Student Visas.
We encourage students to apply to our program to allow us to work with you in obtaining the following criteria:
- A Diploma from the Higher Institute of Nursing or a Diploma Registered in Canada
If your Nursing diploma was obtained outside of Qatar or Canada, please click here for more information.
- A Grade Point Average of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Completion of a Grade 12 English course (must be approved as equivalent to Alberta Grade 12):
- English Language Proficiency
- The ability to attend classes during the day (full-time program 2 years) or the ability to attend classes a minimum of one full day a week as well as during the evenings on a part-time basis (part-time program 4+ years)
- If you work at Hamad Medical Corporation you must have 10 years of experience with Hamad Medical Corporation to be qualified to apply.
International Diploma Holders
If your Nursing diploma was obtained outside of Qatar or Canada, you may still be eligible for admission to the Bachelor of Nursing, Post-Diploma program under our Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process. To be considered we require the following documents from you:
- Copy of passport
- Copy of Qatar ID/RP card
- Passport photos
- CV or resume
- An OFFICIAL or certified copy of your High School transcript
- An OFFICIAL or certified copy of your College transcripts and Nursing Certificate
- Detailed course outlines of the courses taken during your nursing diploma. Course outlines should be very detailed and include a description of topics covered, textbooks used, grading practices, number of weeks of attendance (not including exam period), and hours per week of lecture, lab, and tutorial
IMPORTANT UPDATE: If you studied your nursing diploma in India you will not be required to submit detailed course outlines.
- A letter from the licensing body where you were last registered as a practicing nurse confirming you are licensed to practice nursing
- A letter from your current or previous employer including job profile and description of skills, competencies, and levels demonstrated. (Not required for students with nursing diplomas studied in India).
- Documentation from your current or previous employer regarding how the health care organization assesses applicants to practice within their organization. (Not required for HMC employees)
- Reference(s) from your current employer. (Not required for HMC employees).
Applicants who do not meet the above admission criteria for direct entry to the Bachelor Of Nursing Post Diploma program may be considered for the PDBN Foundations Program.